- This event has passed.
The Female Athlete 2: Advanced Training – San Francisco, CA
February 29, 2020, 8:00 am–March 1, 2020, 5:00 pm EST$527 – $627
Instructor: Antony Lo, APA Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist, Master in Manual Therapy (UWA), B.App.Sc.(Physio)(USyd)
Date: February 29-March 1, 2020
Location: San Francisco, CA CrossFit Novato 7427 Redwood Blvd Novato, CA 94945
Audience: Medical or Fitness professionals who have already taken Female Athlete 1 with Antony Lo
You’ve completed The Female Athlete Course – Level 1. You loved the material and have been Doing Something Different with your clients. Now you want to take the next step and learn more about how to help your female athletes – from assessment, to the principles which guide how you help your client.
The Female Athlete Course – Level 1 has always had 3 key objectives
- To raise awareness of women’s pelvic health issues in women who want to use moderate to high intensity means to achieve their goals
- To raise awareness of how exercise can be used to help women with pelvic heath issues (and diastasis).
- To raise awareness of our language in a biopsychosocial framework – to reduce fear and promote empowerment of women managing their own issues.
The Female Athlete Course – Level 2 will carry those same 3 key objectives.
Additional information about what’s in the timetable…
- Evidence review – brief points – studies included – on the following topics
- Ante-Natal and Post-Natal Exercise
- Consult and Exercise Principles Parts 1 and 2
- Consult Principles
- Intake skills and communication
- Planning your assessment
- Conducting Your Assessment
- Session Summary for your client
- Exercise Principles for women with PFD / DRAM / AN / PN
- Group classes
- A Reflection Sheet about these principles will be provided for use on Day 2 as well as a checklist for feedback during Consults 1 and 2
- Consult Principles
- Exercise Modifications By Principles Part 1 and 2
- Review of Lower Body and Abs from Level 1
- Upper body Examples
- Oly Movements
- Helpful and unhelpful beliefs and treatments and what to do about them
- Dealing with myths and how to change beliefs of both the professional and client
- How to work as a professional who was trained in lots of different ways
- How to reframe what your “toolbox” looks like
Antony and his team are very excited to bring this course to you and hope you are just as excited as they are in taking part.
We look forward to seeing you in this course. Book now to secure your place!
What people are saying about Antony Lo’s classes:
“This in-person training was a game changer for me! I feel much more confident knowing when to progress my female athletes. The concepts were explained and presented well and this trip was an extremely good use of my time and resources. I loved connecting with the other coaches and PTs – all the attendees were kind and approachable which made it a wonderful learning environment!”
“This course challenged my thinking in ways that at first seemed scary and now feel productive and inspiring. I will leave this course challenging my stories, and seeking to “do something different”. I have new goals for myself and my clients and have a renewed focus in the gym. I had many “A-ha!” moments that I think will help me reduce pain and injury in myself, and serve my clients to grow as athletes.”
“We’ve all heard the saying “If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you”. I’ve been a PT x 19 years and am happy when a course challenges what I’ve been taught previously and therefore changes the way I then practice going forward. This course did just that! And I loved the patient demos assessing DRA in supine and with activity. The assistants were wonderful- loved having off the cuff discussions with them/ Q&A. Also loved having at least 50% of the class as fitness professionals, it’s so great to come together and learn how to speak the same language. I highly recommend Antony Lo’s course and look forward to learning from his and the team in the future!”
Antony Lo The Physio Detective Sydney, Australia Australian Physiotherapy Association Titled Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist Master in Manual Therapy (UWA) B.App.Sc.(Physio)(USyd). Antony Lo is a physiotherapist from Australia and runs The Physio Detective service. He earned his degree from the University of Sydney and has been in practice nearly 20 years (old enough to see old things come back as new things!). He completed his post-graduate masters in Manual Therapy (Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy) from the University of Western Australia and has completed his Specialisation training in Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy. He has been involved with treating CrossFit athletes for 5 years and has helped some of the world’s best CrossFitters at the highest levels through to beginners of all ages. He loves and participates in CrossFit and is a strong advocate for the sport. Through participation and through his work as a Physiotherapist at all levels of CrossFit, he has developed a model of treatment that utilises the best from Sports Science, Musculoskeletal/Sports Physiotherapy, Pain Science, and Women’s Health research to provide a realistic holistic model of care balancing the biopsychosocial model of healthcare. He is NOT an employee of CrossFit, he does not represent or work for them in any way and his views and opinions are entirely his own. He holds a CrossFit level 1 – Trainer Certificate and is a CrossFit Football Coach/Consultant. Antony has a wife and 3 beautiful children in the best city in the world – Sydney, Australia!
This course is for physical therapists and healthcare professionals looking for more information and practical knowledge on how to treat female athletes.
- Experience exercise in a group setting at moderate to high intensity
- To share and discuss the issues we are facing with our clients
- To have the key principles from Level 1 reviewed and the latest evidence about SUI/POP/DRAM/antenatal and postnatal conditions as it relates to female athletes/exercise.
- To learn key principles of assessment, management, and exercise
- To develop a framework to integrate these principles to begin making changes to participants’ interactions with their clients.
- To observe, audit and discuss 2 consultations during the weekend
- To develop practical ways of integrating previous education with current evidence
- To utilize a reflection sheet in relation to case studies to help participants continue to change in their interactions with their clients
- To develop new professional relationships and reinforce existing ones
7.00 – 7.30am – Rego
7.30 – 8.30am – WOD (HIIT – loaded)
8.30 – 9.30am – Open discussion on issues and cases the participants are dealing with
9.30 – 9.45am – Break
9.45 – 10.45am – Refresher of principles and review of the evidence
10.45 – 11.45am – Consult and Exercise Principles Part 1 – interactive and dynamic theory and practical
11.45 – 12.45pm – Lunch
12.45 – 1.45pm – Consult and Exercise Principles Part 2 – interactive and dynamic theory and practical
1.45 – 2.45pm – Consult 1 – a physio volunteer from the group doing a consult on a volunteer client from the group
2.45 – 3.00pm – Break
3.00 – 4.00pm – Debrief Consult 1
4.00 – 5.00pm – Exercise Modifications by Principles Part 1 – interactive and dynamic theory and practical
5.00 – 5.30pm – Summary and Day 2 Prep
5.30pm – End Day 1
7.00 – 8.00am – WOD – (HIIT – Loaded)
8.00 – 8.30am – Recap Day 1 – Q and A
8.30 – 9.30am – Exercise Modifications by Principles Part 2 – interactive and dynamic theory and practical
9.30 – 9.45am – Break
9.45 – 11.45am – Helpful and unhelpful beliefs and treatments and what to do about them – interactive and dynamic theory and practical
11.45 – 12.45pm – Lunch
12.45 – 1.45pm – Case Studies and Discussion using Reflection Sheet
1.45 – 2.45pm – Consult 2 – a fitpro volunteer from the group doing a consult on a volunteer client from the group
2.45 – 3.00pm – Break
3.00 – 4.00pm – Debrief Consult 2
4.00 – 5.00pm – Open Discussion
5.00 – 5.30pm – Reflection time and Summary
5.30pm – End Day 2
What is the refund and cancelation policy?
Refunds are honored up to 30 days before the course and are subject to a $75 administrative fee. Within 30 days before the course, refunds will not be provided. If you’re unable to attend the course you purchased, you can also transfer to the same course offered later in the year (if available) for a $25 fee. Course transfers need to be done at the time of request and must be directly into a course that already exists . Transfers must happen within 1 year of the dates of the course that participant is transferring out of. There is a $50 transfer fee to transfer to a different course (and price variations between the two courses may need to be addressed). Course transfers need to be done at the time of request and must be directly into a course that already exists. If the course does not reach a minimum number of students up to 30 days before the course, the course may be canceled, and a full refund in the amount of the course ticket will be provided.
Will I get CEUs or a certificate?
Pelvic Guru Academy applies for PT/PTA CEU credits for each course we host in the state where the course is taking place. We will make a note at the top of the course registration page once CEUs have been approved for each course. If you are coming from another state, please check with your state on reciprocity for CEUs.
What should I wear and how will labs run for Female Athlete courses?
It is suggested that you wear clothing you can exercise in; tight clothing like shorts and a tight singlet or sports crop top will help for observation during practicals. While all the practical components are optional, the beauty of the method Antony teaches is that everything is scalable meaning all the exercises can be adjusted to suit your level of fitness and accommodate any physical restrictions you have to exercise.
If you have additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Oakland airport and SFO
Best Western Plus- Novato
We need locations that meet the following requirements:
- Within 30 minutes of a major airport
- Have hotels close by
- Be able to host 30-40 people
- Have about 15 treatment tables available for pelvic courses.
- Have space for a yoga class of 30 people for Low Pressure Fitness
- Have access to a CrossFit box that wants to host for Female Athlete
Meet these requirements? Fill out the form HERE. Let us know what courses you’d like to host!